DIY Driftwood Stained Six Inch Plywood Plank Floor

My front Galveston Island beach house is a survivor of Hurricane Ike. With water reaching four feet high on a home that is four feet above ground level that equals eight feet of ocean flooding. This flooding lasted for days and by stripping the 100 year old home down to bare bones, repairs were made over time.

Since the home is double sided six inch shiplap (tongue and groove) the walls dried over time as sturdy as ever. The floors didn’t fair as well and needed to be replaced. The owners before me decided to cover up the rotting floor with carpet. 6-3-15housepics 064I tore out all the old carpeting and got down to the subfloor. The subfloor was really bad in the living-room requiring multiple fixes.

I used Home Depot 7/8″ plywood sheets and had the sheet cut into 6″ planks. The last plank is always less than 6″ because of the saw eating up real estate on each cut. Count on 7 planks per sheet. The last 5.5″ plank should be saved from each sheet of plywood for sides that require less width.

My Home Depot began to cut my plywood for free, then charged me $2.50 per cut after the first two free cuts. This was an extra $12.50 added to my expenses halfway through my project. I would check out the local charges in your area before you commit to an entire house renovation like I did. The 4 X 8 foot sheets cost $23.00 plus cutting fees for 8 planks. You roughly get 32 square feet a sheet, so I paid about a dollar per square foot or less depending on the cutting fees. Not bad for a real hardwood floor.

The tools I used were a jigsaw, measuring tape, 1.5 inch nails specifically designed to stay in wood and not work6-3-15housepics 070 themselves out. You can use screws and I did on parts of the floor that needed extra firm tightness. I used a medium weight hammer and a drill to put in the screws.

By far, this was the easiest floor I’ve ever put down. Measure, cut the plank, nail the plank down. Next. The entire house was done in a week. Most of my time was spent lugging planks back and forth from the Home Depot in my teeny, tiny, Toyota Rav4. I live in Texas, I think it’s time for a damn truck, right?

So let’s talk about the staining process and sealant. I love driftwood and wanted my beach house to reflect a medium gray and white driftwood effect. 6-3-15housepics 059I chose a stain in medium gray and dry-brushed white semigloss acrylic paint after the stain dried. I used a cloth and rubbed the white paint into the stain so none of the brush strokes looked too “placed”.

Some boards are lighter than others naturally and have blotches, knots and grooves. Perfect for the rough-beachy floor look I wanted. When I placed the sealant (I used polyurethane) on the floor, the wood glowed as if it were polished. I couldn’t be more pleased at the results. More pics to come with sealant completed, better lighting and furniture.


DIY Update to Coastal Desk and Mirror

I find the most beautiful things when I thrift shop. Yet, those items are not always in the color, shape or design I want. Buying a large mirror in the wrong color could be a simple update with the right paint and accessories.

Hand painted mirror with sand dollar garland.

Hand painted mirror with sand dollar garland.

I filled in the places with acrylic navy blue paint where the wrong color was on the mirror. Use a dry brush technique to blend the new color into the remaining colors on the mirror for best results.

Closeup to dry brush technique and replacing old color with new.

Closeup to dry brush technique and replacing old color with new.

You’ll see a sand dollar garland I made with light weight string and small seashells. I’m a sucker when it comes to seashells of any kind. As a scuba diver I spend time taking pictures and collecting only the dead shells I find in the sand underwater. Ending any life just isn’t part of who I am.

This project took less than a half hour and drying time was about the same. I hung up the mirror in my unfinished living room just to give the space a little color. Can you see inside the mirror where I blocked off a hallway with matching shiplap. The ceilings in the home are all bare until I get every single nail out. Whew! I Really need to paint that wall today.

As a retired person I thought I’d lay in the sun at the beach and eat fruit, cheese and crackers with cold imported

Vintage dresser upcycle to desk.

Vintage dresser upcycle to desk.

beer. But nooooo, I have to nest and create and paint my watercolors. So, I plunged into a reconstruction project to gain a desk from the bottom piece of a vintage dresser.

Bought this vintage dresser 2 pieces for $75.

Bought this vintage dresser 2 pieces for $75.













I know it’s difficult to see under that gorgeous afghan that I did buy for a friend, but there is a two drawer piece behind the roses. I took the drawers out for another project, used a hacksaw blade and gutted the piece that is now my desk. I chose not to keep any of the drawers so my legs wouldn’t get cramped in the small space. I have plenty of storage with built in bookshelves and a huge armoire in my bedroom.

I shaped the legs, glued a leg back on and painted the whole piece with white chalk paint, Inside the desk I painted panels sea green to match the chair I found when thrifting for $15.00. I plan to use a dark wax to bring out the swirls on the legs…they’re very cool.

Well, I have to go, my dog Reilly is using my desk as a viewing post of the cat next door…sigh.